Our aim is to create a strong, resilient and thriving community with the ability to positively impact our environment, relationships and culture and to participate consciously and meaningfully in our own lives.
Prevention is at the heart of what we do. Our organisation deploys recognised and repeatable practices which prevent the diseases of chronic depression and anxiety which has been found to lead to suicide.
We do this by incorporating proven holistic wellness practices designed to increase mental and emotional resilience, self-esteem and confidence.
We provide a non-judgmental and inclusive space for people to come together and take part in group activities such as dipping in the ocean, watching the sunrise, meditation, movement, breath-work and ice baths. Some group events involve guest speakers and educational sessions to discuss topics such as healthy eating and healthy habits. Regular men and women’s evenings are an opportunity to further deepen and strengthen the connections formed at the morning program by sharing stories, experiences, challenges and solutions.
Participation in this program influences people to adopt healthier lifestyle choices and establish positive daily routines that create structure and certainty and gives a sense of accomplishment and self-worth. Routine can be an important anchor to maintaining good mental health and dealing with anxiety in stressful times and provides meaning and purpose in our everyday lives.
The sense of community and belonging is the key element to all of this but showing up each morning, connecting to nature, overcoming fear and taking charge of our day is the perfect combination of the many things we value most in life.
It all starts with us, together we can take one step closer to creating the full and vibrant life that we all want.
Why are we doing this?
The current world we live in can be characterised by the following base elemental characteristics:
It could be reasonably argued that while this directly applies to our outside world, these characteristics may well apply to our inner world as well.
In order to meet these demands and thrive and flourish, The Human Excellence Project recognises the need for each person to individually develop, strengthen and refine the following 5 Core Human Capabilities:
- Openness: – remaining open to meet situations, people, thoughts and emotions with curiosity and acceptance and not closing up and becoming defensive
- Seek Alternative Perspectives: – actively seek and holding multiple perspectives to expand understanding of self, others and the world at large
- Sense-making: – refine the art and process of finding and creating meaning as we journey through life
- Inner Compass: – clarifying what is important in order to navigate life and take consistent action in this direction
- Compassion: – see and meet self and others with authentic grounded warmth and caring while also seeking to reduce suffering
POSITIVITY IN THE COMMUNITY
The Human Excellence Project is a positive community that inspires its members in ways that promote a sense of self-discovery and group connection and allows individuals to feel more connected to their environment and the people in it.
The connection that comes with being in a positive community can act as a support system for members when they require encouragement or help and can help combat the sense of isolation and loneliness felt by many.
Positive communities work to foster feelings of genuine connection among members by providing plenty of interaction opportunities. More specifically, creating opportunities for members to experience positive emotional contagion in their interactions is key.
Emotional contagion is the ability to influence the emotions and behaviours of others, either directly or indirectly. Emotions, whether positive or negative, travel from person to person, like a virus, and tend to grow in social groups.
It is important to consciously choose who you spend your time with because behaviours, attitudes and health outcomes often form in social clusters.
Emotional contagion occurs when two or more people focus on a common activity and emotional experience, generating feelings of group solidarity (Collins, 2004). Examples of activities that may induce emotional contagion feelings include our daily sunrise dip in the ocean and partaking in our monthly ice bath challenge.
A persons social connections do not always support them in their pursuit of positive change. Social support makes personal development and life success much easier, faster and more enjoyable. Choose to spend more time with people that empower you, people who are motivated and passionate about life, people who are positive and uplifting.
Most importantly choose people who believe in you and want to help you grow into the best version of yourself.
Participation in this program influences people to adopt healthier lifestyle choices, reduces the rate of isolation and loneliness and its associated health implications and leads to overall improved physical, emotional and mental health.
The power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic or hospital.
Some Cool Facts
Numbers Speak For Themselves
KEY IMPACTS ON THE COMMUNITY
- We have provided positive & proactive mental, physical & emotional well-being to our community for nearly 3 years.
- Joondalup city shire recognised our efforts by awarding Paul Holliday the Community Citizen of The Year Award for 2021
- This last year we have had over 26,000 people join us for a morning dip.
- We provided 12 free of charge breathe & freeze ice bath events
- Mobilised a team of 35 people to help with the clean up operation after the recent bushfires
- Facilitated 12 women’s groups for over 200 women, aimed at improving mental health and well-being
- Completed a 200km bike ride to raise money for men’s mental health and suicide prevention
- Helped to Raise $100k charity donation for a 5 year old child and his family in his battle with leukaemia
- Took part in the Rottnest Channel Swim with 3 teams of 4 swimmers participating
- Provided twice weekly meditation and breathwork classes, free of charge, to the community. Helps to build solid life foundations to each person.
- Partnered with EcoLuxe Events and Summer x Salt Markets to run Breathe & Freeze ice bath workshops for their health and wellness events
- Secured a $50K donation from The Australian Horizons Foundation & Flash Market